Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ready for a Vacation

Now that Memorial Day has come and gone, there is no question that summer is in full swing. What does summer mean to me? VACATION! For as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed hitting the highway and going some place new. There are few things better than enjoying a change of scenery for a few days without the responsibilities of our daily lives. Unfortunately, vacations are not always easy to schedule or plan -- and that's proving to be the case this year. Travel requires money. That's something I don't have a surplus of at the moment either. So I'm taking a moment to consider the aspects of the vacation experience that are most important for my well-being and figuring out ways to enjoy time away without breaking the bank.

The most important aspect of a vacation for me is time alone. I enjoy traveling with my parents each year, but that's not a break for me. I find that I need to slip away from everyone, turn the cell phone off, and trust that my siblings will handle any issues that arise for my parents in my absence. This also means that I don't visit friends when I'm vacationing.....that defeats the purpose of the trip. (Don't get me wrong....I love spending time with my friends, but I find myself still giving in to the need to accommodate their needs and desires rather than merely taking care of me for a little while.) This means that I need to stay in a hotel.

One way I manage to afford a vacation in a hotel is to stay in the same hotel chain throughout the year. By joining the chain's loyalty program, I earn free nights that I use to offset the expense of my vacation. The money that I would have used for a hotel can now be applied to a nice dinner or a relaxing massage.

When commitments at home don't allow me to leave right away, I try to find some activities to amuse my mind while I'm still living in the Geriatric Ward. Of course, going to see a movie or play are standard options. I'm also discovering that jigsaw puzzles and craft projects can be excellent ways to relax. This year, I've not been able to catch many concerts, so I'm making up for it by "exploring" some pieces I wanted to become more familiar with by viewing videos on YouTube.

Everyone needs time away from the routine to recharge and get ready for the busy season ahead. Don't allow your schedule or finances to determine the quality of your vacation. Think outside of the box, find something that you enjoy, and plan your escape today.

No comments:

Post a Comment