Friday, May 22, 2015

Building Baby's Library

We are getting excited about the arrival of Baby Boy Brauer around here! Everyone is dreaming and praying as preparations are made. Ever the bibliophiles, Jacqs and I have been joking about building the baby's library. I've sent pictures of sales in local bookstores featuring children's books. I found myself wondering what must-have books I would want to see in the nursery. That question became the basis for today's post.....and my list of ten must haves in any nursery.

1.  The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. This book is actually for Mom and Dad, but an important foundation piece. I was introduced to the book in my elementary literacy class. Trelease clearly outlines the importance of reading with a child from the earliest days and the impact the activity has on the child's total development. Most valuable are the graded lists of read aloud books -- complete with summaries of the story and publication information. Whenever I find myself asked to read to a group of children, I find myself returning to this resource over and over again.

2. Corduroy by Don Freeman. What childhood is complete without this charming story of a cuddly teddy bear waiting on a department store shelf for the friendship of a child? One of my all-time favorites that I discovered as an adult.

3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Children always enjoy revisiting the adventures of the caterpillar as he eats his way through the pages of the book.

4. The Napping House by Audrey Wood. A great bedtime story that is also very funny. Its repetitive text becomes very rhythmic as the house and everyone in it prepares for a much needed nap. It will definitely put a smile on your child's face as he drifts to sleep.

5. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. When you need something a little calmer to settle your little one at the end of the day, this is a classic that has been enjoyed by generations of children.

6. I Love You to the Moon and Back by Amelia Hepworth. I love this story and adore the pictures. No matter how old we become, it's always comforting to be reminded that our parents love us "to the moon and back." I've heard many stories of parents fighting back tears as they read this expression of pure love to their little bears.

7. The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories by Thomas Nelson Publishing. I've read lots of children's Bible story books over the years, but I tend to always return to this one for the youngest ones who are growing in their faith. The pictures are vivid and bright. The stories are well written and focus on the primary truth of the individual stories while maintaining an appropriate length for the early toddler. It also provides a good introduction to the idea of family devotions for a young family.

8. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss. I struggled to just pick one of the classic books by Dr. Seuss. The rhythm and repetitive use of language is helpful for language development and builds vocabulary. Who am I kidding? These books maintain a place on nursery bookshelves because they are FUN!

9. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle. Another classic from this author that children always love. Often becomes an introduction to the game "I Spy."

10. You Are Special by Max Lucado.  This book is probably most appropriate for an older child (ages 7-12) because of its length and detailed writing. In a world that constantly points out the negative aspects of childhood, the kids we love need to be reminded that they are unique, special, and loved by their family and the Heavenly Father. Lucado's lovable Wimmicks will warm the heart and open doors for important conversations for many years to come. Go ahead and add it to your child's bookshelf now; the pictures are amazing and the story can be "told" (rather than read) to younger children when they need a special reminder of just how amazing they are.

What are your must read books to the children in your life? Which books hold special memories from your earliest years? When was the last time you visited your local bookstore or library and sat in the floor of the children's section? If it's been too long, I dare you to visit soon....you'll be very glad that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment