Monday, May 11, 2015

Hits and Misses (May 3-9)

Another week is in the books. Here's a look at the week that was....

HITS
  • The last full week of the semester was filled with successful performances. On Tuesday evening, I played Percy Grainger's Children's March with the Symphonic Band. The week ended with voice boards on Friday afternoon. It always feels good to tick off another performance in a very busy season.
  • After Thursday's orchestra concert, I enjoyed dinner with some young friends. I am blessed to have the opportunity to have gotten to know these individuals in the past few years and look forward to seeing what the future holds for them. It's an added bonus when I realize that surrounding myself with young people throughout the week keeps my mind and spirit young as well.
MISSES
  • With the end of the semester came the dreaded check-out routine at MSCC. I really don't understand why an institution doesn't trust their faculty enough to simply allow us to input grades with accuracy instead of wasting so much valuable time going through a litany of unnecessary hoops in order to get our final check of the semester. I keep hoping that this process along with others that make the college feel more like an extension of high school will be phased out in the near future.
  • While I normally love shopping for gifts, this week was a challenge with my crazy performance schedule. I knew what I wanted to give for Mother's Day, but it required me to visit several shops. I never expected it would be so difficult to find a light afghan in May either! I finally found one and had the gift bag ready in time for the Mother's Day festivities.
PROGRESS REPORT
  • Somehow, I managed to keep reading this week!
  • A Family Affair - COMPLETE
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey - p. 14 of 325

No comments:

Post a Comment