Wednesday, May 6, 2015

National Geographic History

History was never one of my favorite subjects as a young student. I didn't like memorizing facts about dead men. The battles of war had little impact on my imagination. Things finally began to change during graduate school.

Suddenly, I began to understand that events impacted people across eras and across disciplines. How had I missed the fact that politics directly impacted the arts that I loved so dearly? I suppose it had something to do with finally encountering teachers who were passionate about world history rather than simply looking at trends in their minute area of interest.

Now I found myself wanting to learn more about historical figures and events. I wanted to consider their impact on future societies and understand the reactions created in literature and the arts. I felt that I had missed the opportunity to learn more about history since I neglected these courses during my academic career. There was no time to enroll in a class...and my interests were wide-spread. That's why I was so happy to discover the premiere edition of National Geographic History on a recent trip to the newsstand.

The magazine is filled with exquisite images and carefully researched articles that address history in such a way that the layman can easily understand the circumstances and impact of the dedicated issue. The first edition of the journal includes articles related to the American Civil War, the destruction of Pompeii, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Dead Sea Scrolls. After reading the first few pages, I immediately knew I was holding a great resource that needed to be added to my personal library; I promptly subscribed to the magazine so I wouldn't miss an issue. Now I have finally found a way to appease my hunger for a better understanding of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment