Monday, January 20, 2014

Hits and Misses (January 12-18)

Greetings from sunny Malibu, California! It's time to take a look at the week that was before heading back to my normal reality.

Hits

  • The first week of a new semester at MSCC has gotten off to a relatively good start. It appears that I have 4 pretty good classes this term (2 music appreciation and 2 college survival). Good students with positive attitudes always make the semester go better.
  • I'm enjoying the challenge of developing a hybrid section of music appreciation. It's requiring me to rethink the content and its presentation since half of the material is presented to students via online resources. I can see how the material will constantly be able to adapt and improve with each subsequent term.
  • Medication is a miracle of modern science. Now that it seems my blood pressure is coming under control, I am beginning to feel like I can spend some quality time at the piano again.....and enjoy it! It's a welcome change from the past few months.
  • I always like to see results from my hard work. Last week was one of those weeks. With diet changes and getting back to the gym most days, I lost 6 pounds. I've got a long way to go, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
  • There's nothing better than waking up to the warmth of the sun and the beautiful scenery of Malibu. I love this place and always find such peace here. Even more than the natural beauty, the incredible people I know and love here make this home for me.
  • On this trip to LA, I had very little planned that I needed to do. Since there was a very relaxed pace (a definite change for most of my trips to Malibu), Jeff and I decided to take in the Los Angeles Zoo. I had never heard much about the zoo and didn't really know what to expect. The exhibits were lush and well manicured. So many animals to see......as well as some people watching....made for a really fun day. I think I will always treasure the 30 minutes (Literally!) that we spent watching the baby koala bear with its mother. 
  • Dinner Saturday evening at the mall in Century City brought a few questions. How have I missed hearing about Which Wich? When will one of these amazing food stands find its way to  Memphis? Am I seriously considering a trip to Music City for this grub?
Misses
  • I despise repeating assignments because someone else failed to communicate clearly. We expect more from our students. Why don't we expect the same from administrative leadership in an academic setting?
  • Got on my flight from Memphis to Atlanta on Friday afternoon only to be stuck on the Tarmac for 30 minutes while we were cleared for take off. Why wasn't this revelation made while we were comfortably sitting in the terminal instead? Come on, Delta Airlines. Get your act together!
  • I saw American Hustle with Jeff and Paulie on Saturday night. I enjoyed the movie and thought the cast was really strong, but I don't understand what all the Oscar buzz is about. Because of all the hype, I left the theater a little disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment