Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Accountability Time……and Planning Ahead

Happy New Year! It's difficult to believe that another year has come and gone. I'm looking forward to 2014 and all that it might bring. Before I get too far into the new year, I wanted to make sure that I provided some accountability on the resolutions that I made last January. (If there's no accountability, there's little likelihood that anything will change.)  So here's how I made out on my five resolutions for 2013.

  1. Reading more. This is an annual goal. I always want to read more than I did the previous year. At the end of 2012, I had read 32 books in the calendar year.  That total was CRUSHED in 2013!  I ended the year having read 46 books! I'm getting closer to that goal of reading approximately one book per week.  Since I know I'm not the only one out there who likes stats, here are how things broke down:
      • 13 audio books (I listened)
      • 33 paper/electronic books (I read the words on the page)
    • And to break down the types of reading I did……FICTION led the way with 34 novels. CHRISTIAN LIVING came in next with 6 books. MEMOIRS and MUSIC rounded out the categories with 3 books in each.
  2. Lose 20 pounds. This is the most frustrating of all my resolutions. I was well on my way during the winter and summer. I was headed to the gym 3 times a week and actually enjoying it. Life had other plans though. When school was in session and I was spending hours on the road each day, I didn't physically feel like working out. I was much more interested in survival. I guess that's an excuse….but it was my reality. What I did learn is that I am capable of losing the weight; I just have to figure out how to fit it into an insane routine. I'm not giving up…..but I'm not putting as much pressure on myself either. I'm more interested in feeling healthy than looking fit.
  3. Write on a more consistent basis. The goal was to publish blog posts 4 times each week; 3 of them were to be here while the other would appear over on Collaborations. My writing went through spurts (again attributed to my busy schedule), but I'm pretty happy with the year's overall productivity in this area. Again, I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.
      • Livin' Life - 118 posts
      • Reading for Me - 49 posts
      • Collaborations - 29 posts
      • TOTALING 196 POSTS! (That works out to 3.77 posts per week….YEAH!)
  4. Find time for rest. When making this resolution, my life looked very different. I didn't find 8 hours each week to devote to personal enjoyment as I had originally hoped. I did make the decision to resign one of my jobs. Since making that decision, I am much healthier and find myself enjoying the bulk of my life again.
  5. Spiritual Growth. Isn't this something we all long for? It's so difficult to measure too. This has been a rough year and one that I am glad to see in my rear view mirror. While I went through some dry seasons, I rejoice in the fact that I actually enjoy going to worship again. I'm not the most regular attender at the moment (partially because I'm still trying to settle down in a single church home and because I'm still enjoying the liberty of not having responsibilities that demand my attendance), but I am growing in my faith. My quiet times have become essential to my daily routine. I find myself wanting to be with God's people and loving them. Those two things alone signify tremendous growth from where I was this time last year.

Now that I've been accountable, here are my RESOLUTIONS FOR 2014.  You'll see that many of them are extensions on what I've already accomplished in the past year.
  1. Become actively involved in a strong Christian fellowship of believers.
  2. Increase my total reading activity.
  3. Take control of my health - emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
  4. Memorize 2 major works for solo piano.
  5. Improve the consistency and quality of my blogging - especially on Collaborations.
  6. Consistently schedule activities that will bring rejuvenation and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment