Monday, December 16, 2013

Hits and Misses (December 8-14)

Let's take a look back at the week that was.

HITS

  • On Wednesday evening, I had the pleasure of playing in an annual Christmas concert at Hope Baptist in Olive Branch with my friend, Ellen Patrick. Ellen and I played a duet arrangement of Sleigh Ride (more about this on Thursday over on Collaborations) and just generally had a good time. This was my first time to play on the concert…..and also my first year in a LONG time not to direct my own Christmas program. It was nice to have fun making Christmas music again.
  • Before heading to Hope Baptist, I made a quick stop at the library to pick up a couple of books. Since the holidays are here, I plan to enjoy a bit more time reading and relaxing. At the moment, I'm reading Robert Whitlow's Life Everlasting and loving every minute of it.
  • The Golden Globe nominations were announced this week. I always like to play along and select my own winners. I've not seen many of this year's nominees, so I'm having fun making some trips to the movies to see as many of them as I can.  I'll be sharing my thoughts on them throughout the week here as well. I'm really looking forward to the Christmas movie season.
  • Bellevue's Singing Christmas Tree opened its run on Friday night and I was in the house. The lights were amazing…..some of the singing was quite good……and the story was beautiful.
  • Mom and I headed to the mall on Saturday to get most of her Christmas shopping done. I enjoy spending time with her and getting to see her enjoy the holidays.


MISSES

  • Ending the semester was a pain. With last weekend's winter weather, schedules were a nightmare. My final was moved to Tuesday morning; grades and checkout had to be completed by Wednesday. It's not impossible to have a quick turn around, but since it's not the process that I had originally planned for, it was a bit of a hassle. I'm just glad that the fall classes at MSCC of 2013 are done.
  • I ordered my ticket to the Singing Christmas Tree online. I can't complain because the prices were really reasonable. I do wish that there had been a note somewhere explaining that the entire house right side of the auditorium had an obstructed view. I nearly left the program after trying to watch the stage only to see the black arm of a camera filling half of the stage. It was really annoying! I'm thankful for the work that Bellevue does on this production, but I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
  • Christmas shopping has become a chore over the years. Mom has no confidence in making her own selections, so I have to select the merchandise and get her approval. I don't mind it so much when we're shopping for the rest of the family, but I honestly hate having to select my own gifts, help wrap them, and then put on a surprised expression on Christmas morning. I could really use some help this time of year handling all of the responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment