Friday, May 31, 2013

Remember When....

I love thinking about exciting experiences I have had throughout my life. It's fun to recall the good times I've had. So many of them are associated with friends and family and often resulted in some outlandish story that I never thought I would find myself in.

What I am horrible about is remembering WHEN things occurred. I was reminded of this fact earlier this week when I was having a conversation with a friend via text message. She and I have made two trips to New York City together. The first trip was with a couple of other friends who were attending a wedding in the area; the second was a crazy trip with just the two of us. We were trying to recall when we went. I was at a total loss!

I could tell you things that happened on each trip. The first trip's highlights included seeing Bernadette Peters in the revival of Gypsy (which places the trip in either 2003 or 2004) and the "nickel tour" of NYC while the guys were at the wedding. This was the trip I first saw Lady Liberty, the NYC Library, and Ground Zero.  The second trip was a welcome introduction to some places not necessarily on the beaten path. I experienced Hogs and Heifers in the Meat Packing District, did some shopping in Soho, and ate my way around the city. (The profiteroles at Balthazar Restaurant and the Symphony of Dessert from Fred's Madison Avenue inside Barney's are still wonderful memories.) Even though I didn't get to see a performance, walking along the fountain of Lincoln Center was a moment I'll never forget. I'm still waiting on a return trip to see a live performance in this important venue....all in due time, I'm sure.

All of this reminiscing has me itching to travel again! I know I just got home from vacation, but I'm ready for a slightly more cultural outing. When I have the time to travel, all of the major performance venues seem to be on break as well. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting Chicago at the end of the summer, but there may be a trip before that. I hear Santa Fe is beautiful at the moment....and the city's music festival is coming up in July and August. Hmmmm..........

No comments:

Post a Comment