Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cafe 1912

I enjoy eating in restaurants. It's something that relaxes me and allows me to escape from the routine. Rarely do I try new places because I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like and I hate checking out a new place alone. Once I know what to expect, then I'm more willing to drop in on my own and enjoy a meal.

I heard from a friend that they were wanting to check out Cafe 1912 but didn't have anyone to go with, so I jumped at the opportunity. Last night, we headed over to the restaurant located in midtown Memphis and had a great dining experience.

Cafe 1912 is a small bistro that doesn't have elaborate decor. We arrived on Monday evening just before 7pm and found the place to be rather empty. Before the hour was over, however, most tables would be full.  (Reservations are accepted and recommended, I learned.) We were seated near the back of the space, next to the open kitchen. It was thrilling to watch the staff prepare dinner and to see the beautifully crafted plates coming out of the window.

I ordered the stuffed chicken breast on a bed of potatoes with a creamy vegetable sauce. There's only one way to describe it:  AMAZING! The chicken was nicely seasoned and moist. The sauce begged to be sopped up with the accompanying bread. I was also impressed with the portion size. While it was substantial, I didn't leave feeling as though I had just over-indulged.

Cafe 1912 was a little on the pricey side for a weeknight meal, I suppose. My dinner and a glass of water was just under $20 and didn't include gratuity. While it may be more than I would normally spend for dinner, the food was worth every penny I spent! I didn't try any of the dessert selections; that just gives me an excuse to visit again. The bread pudding, profiteroles, and creme brûlée that I watched go by my table were very enticing. I really don't know which one I want to try first. Who knows....maybe I'll just go for a dessert tasting and call it dinner!

Next time you are looking for a wonderful meal that's a little off the beaten path, I highly recommend Cafe 1912. I've heard the Sunday brunch is pretty incredible as well.

What's your favorite under-rated restaurant in the Memphis area? Leave a suggestion for me to try in the comment section below. Who knows....we might just run into each other one evening.

1 comment:

  1. Iris is hands down our favorite. It is a house next across from Playhouse on the Square. It is a little pricey. But we go there for all special occasions. The food is the best we have had in town.

    ReplyDelete