Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 in Review - Part I

As the year draws to a close, many are reflecting over their experiences, successes, failures, and blessings.  Others are looking forwarding to the new year and all the possibilities that it holds.  I'm no different and I decided to take you on the journey of reflection with me.

I have always enjoyed New Year's Resolutions.  Like many people, my resolutions were often left in the dust by mid-February each year.  Last year, a very wise friend told me to change my view of resolutions and see them as "dreams with deadlines."  Additionally, he challenged me to divide my life into various arenas (spiritual, professional, etc) and come up with a set of resolutions for each.  By realizing that these were nothing more than dreams, they never became a source of guilt or stress;  rather, my resolutions for 2010 served as guiding goals to keep me on track.  Each morning, I have seen this list of 10 resolutions taped to the mirror in my bedroom.  Over the next few days, I will reflect on my experiences in each area and let you know how I did with each of my resolutions.

Without further ado, here are the 10 resolutions that guided my actions during the year 2010.
  1. Submit an article for journal publication.
  2. Perform a chamber recital.
  3. Complete 4 Bible studies/ministry studies.
  4. Read through the entire Bible.
  5. Travel to one U.S. city I have never visited.
  6. Schedule one event each week for my personal enjoyment/relaxation.
  7. Lose 20 pounds.
  8. Journal at least twice each week.
  9. Complete one cross-stitch project.
  10. Read 52 books (the equivalent of one per week).
Before we begin, I will freely admit that I did NOT accomplish all of my goals that I laid out in my resolutions.  I am very proud to say, however, that I did take steps toward accomplishing each of these to some degree.  Let's begin by taking a look at each resolution individually and seeing how things turned out.

1.  Submit an article for journal publication.  Right away, we come to a resolution that did not get accomplished this year.  I have several drafts of various papers written, but nothing quite went the direction I intended or I ended up in territory about which I was unqualified to authoritatively speak.  I have learned more about the process and the timetable that I need to follow in order to complete an article.

On a side note, however, the pursuit of journal publication shifted slightly in the summer to establishing a blog about music.  My blog Collaborations is still rather young and has faced some difficult times (especially as the fall semester came to a close), but I have been very pleased with the positive feedback I have received from respected colleagues in the field.  I anticipate that 2011 will see a heavy emphasis in the return of quality blogging in my resolution list.

2.  Perform a chamber recital.  It may be appropriate to call 2010 the year of the recital for me.  I presented a total of 7 recitals this year in 5 states.  In addition to the classical recitals, I also served as musical director of Crittenden Youth Theater's Spring production of Pinocchio.  Not to be left out, my church job had its fair share of performances this year as well -- including a very successful Kidz Music Camp using the musical Livin' Inside Out in an Upside World and the adult choral production of The Reason for Christmas

Of all of the performing, three engagements stand out in my mind.  In May, I traveled to Houston, Texas to collaborate for the first time with clarinetist Jere Douglas.  Jere has become a valued friend and colleague;  I look forward to our next musical endeavor together in May, 2011.

I have directed Kidz Music Camp for several years now and feel very confident in my ability to produce a quality show while ensuring that the students have a good time.  This year's show was probably my favorite experience ever.  The students were joyful, the music and choreography was fun, and the ministry was authentic and of eternal significance.  There can be no greater combination.

Finally, the last recital of the year with Marty Bishop in Jonesboro ranks as one of the best musical experiences of the year.  As I mentioned in my review of the recital over on Collaborations, Marty is a gifted musician who doesn't forget the value of friendship and kindness.  The music was good;  the experience of making music was enjoyable -- the perfect way to end the year's music making.

3.  Complete 4 Bible studies/ministry studies.  I missed the goal a bit here, but I completed 3 of them.  The year began with an online study of Christian Education Philosophy.  I completed the study, but don't anticipate doing another online class anytime soon.  The other participants were not terribly active in the discussion, so I was left to my own resources much of the time.

The other Bible studies that I completed were very personal and spoke directly to me at crucial times of the year.  My mother and I formed a "small group" (if you can call it that with only 2 participants!) in our home and completed two of Beth Moore's studies:  Esther and Daniel.  Yes, I am fully aware that these studies were intended for a female audience, but I cannot begin to express how mightily these Bible studies spoke truth and challenges into my heart.  Of these two, my favorite was Daniel hands down!  Mom got a few weeks behind due to some eye infections so I'm still getting to review and digest this challenging material. 

The Bible study bug has bitten hard in the Freeman family.  We are already planning our next "small group" study beginning in February and are adding a few more members to our circle.  We'll be starting out with another Beth Moore study:  Jesus, the One and Only.  I'm already getting excited to dive into the depths of the life of Christ early in the new year.  (If you're interested in how we are pulling off the family small group without breaking the bank, let me know.....I'll be happy to share.)

Tomorrow, I'll pick up with resolution #4 on my list......

1 comment:

  1. Comment posted on Facebook by JoVonne Ray-Bolt:

    Thanks for giving us a peek into your personal goals and dreams, Kennith. Very inspiring! By writing them down and envisioning them every day, you've given yourself the best chance to fulfill those God-given dreams. And even if you don't ac...hieve everything on that list as scheduled, WOW, look at how much progress you DID make!!! I'm amazed at your productivity. I really like your goal to just do something enjoyable every week. As a mom of three young boys, I am definitely going to add that one to my list and mark it on the calendar! Another one of mine is to play the piano again, regularly, for ME. Pick up the old songs I used to play, find some new ones to learn, and study more theory and chords. I'm teaching my boys to play and we are all loving the connection that music is creating among us. I just bought a gently used Roland digital 88 weighted key piano for Christmas (the Casio 72 key just wasn't cutting it!!) so we're in business for plenty of music-making this year. Wish my boys could attend your Kidz Camp -- that sounds like fun. Cheers and Happy New Year to you:-)

    ReplyDelete