Thursday, October 28, 2010

Overcast Skies

I suppose I am still a little confused right now.  I am writing from Arkansas, but my mind is definitely at the beach.  When I was in Malibu last week, the skies were overcast throughout my stay - a very unusual situation for this time of year.  I found the weather strangely comforting;  in many ways, the "skies" in my personal life are overcast as well.

Let me be very clear from the beginning of this post.  I do not think I am depressed.  I don't have an impending sense of hopelessness or despair.  Rather, I am just dealing with a case of the blues.  I am ready for a change in my life and anxious for the warmth of the sun's excitement again.

If we are honest with ourselves, we all face times of gloominess.  Things don't go the way we had planned.  We find ourselves restless, unsatisfied and discontented in our current situation.  We are not in a dark place, necessarily;  the skies are simply overcast.

Overcast skies are not always a bad thing.  When things are not exactly the way we had hoped, we begin to actively seek the beauty in our lives.  We reminisce on previous times when the sun was shining brightly and we turn our eyes toward the confident hope that the sun will shine once again.  Most importantly, we begin to take stock of our plans and dreams, revising them in preparation of the new dawn, and refocusing the central aspects of our dreams.

It's encouraging in a strange way to spend some time facing overcast skies.  Right now, I'm looking carefully at some things in my life and bringing my dreams before the Master of the Wind and Rain, asking for His input, direction, and blessing.  Instead of focusing on the overcast skies that I'm facing at the moment, I choose to look forward to the promise of sunny days ahead. 

It's time to put away the umbrella, my friend.  It won't rain always!

No comments:

Post a Comment