Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reconnecting

Recently, I returned home to Malibu for Waves Weekend.  The event combined the activities commonly associated with Homecoming, Family Weekend, and Midnight Madness.  The weekend featured two other events that were very dear to my heart:  the 40th anniversary of the University Church of Christ and a fraternity education session of Psi Upsilon fraternity.

Throughout my time in Malibu, I encountered people who were extremely important to me while I was in school.  Teachers, friends, ministers, and roommates.  I am incredibly blessed that many of these people continue to be active parts of my life through the technology of social networking sites, speaking words of encouragement, affirmation, and challenge to me on a regular basis.

Perhaps the most special reunion of the weekend was one that occurred away from the eyes of others in the quietness of a cool southern California night.  A friendship I treasured during college had disintegrated into nothingness due to my hurtful words among other things.  How exciting to sit with my friend and deal with things that had long been avoided.  What I thought was irreparable began to be restored during the weekend.  I was prepared to lavishly apologize for my many wrongs;  when the time came to meet for the first time, I was greeted with a warm, kind smile and the statement that I had been sorely missed.  You cannot imagine my relief!  I wanted to apologize, but I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the guilt that would follow.  Knowing that I was already forgiven made the apology much easier and the time we shared more enjoyable and special.  I am thrilled to have reconnected with my friend and look forward to the next time our paths cross....I'm just hoping it will be soon rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment