Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Tale of Two Exams

This summer has been filled with exams for me -- doctor's examinations and exams of my car by mechanics and body shops. Yesterday, I visited both places and had significantly different experiences.

A return visit to the body shop was prompted by the check engine light on my car. Since regular maintenance had been performed, it seemed as though a sensor was effected by May's accident. (This was actually confirmed by a diagnostic test at the dealership a few days earlier.) The body shop's technicians listened to my concerns, examined the car, identified the problem which they then promptly fixed. I was without my car for a total of 5 hours. When I picked up the car, the gentleman carefully explained what had been done and proceeded to tell me what actions to take if the indicator turned on again in the near future. I left feeling empowered, respected, and appreciated.

A return visit to my former general practitioner was prompted by a long week of fluctuating blood pressure after a change of medication. After examining the readings, the doctor informed me that I was too obsessed with the numbers and proceeded to tell me that the problems were all in my head. As I described feelings of fatigue after beginning the medication, he told me that the "high" readings he saw on the chart would not cause tiredness and proceeded to suggest therapy for my mental and emotional problems. I admitted that I'm fighting the blues at the moment, but identified that those issues began after first experiencing the effects of the new drug. As though he had not heard a word I was saying, this genius proceeded to tell me that I was also fretful about returning to Texas in a few weeks. I left this appointment with feelings of frustration and insult as I realized this man was only interested in dealing with problems he could quickly see and solve rather than my long term health. Any compassion he had ever possessed was not going to be wasted on me and my concerns.

All I want from professionals who are caring for my body and my car is someone who will compassionately listen to my concerns, help identify and solve the problems I am experiencing while explaining the process to me in terms I can understand. Realize that I do not enjoy visiting you and am not making up issues to create a problem. I am aware of the normal workings of my car and my body......and probably know when something is out of the ordinary far sooner than you do. Listen to me and together we can correctly diagnosis the problem...even if it doesn't show up immediately on your numerically-driven diagnostics. Yesterday, I saw examples of the best and worst. One of these has gained a loyal consumer; the other has guaranteed that as soon as this "issue" stabilizes he will never see me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment