Monday, July 13, 2015

Hits and Misses (July 5-11)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • It's a wonderful thing to start the week with lunch at Carrabba's with the Geriatrics. This is just some of the best food on the planet. End of story.
  • This has been a week all about stocking my new home. My parents got me a starter set of kitchen tools and a small set of silverware. The rest of the week has involved Mom surveying her kitchen and packing some duplicate items from her kitchen for me to take with me. It's nice to know that I'm going to be taking a little bit of home with me.
  • I made two pretty sizable purchases this week as well. My car was quickly nearing 300,000 miles and I got a great deal on a new Outlander. The funny thing is that it looks very similar to the last one.....but I'm really enjoying it. On Saturday, I found a great deal on a sofa and chair that I couldn't pass up. Now I have a place to sit and sleep, supplies to prepare food, and a reliable method of transportation. I just don't have a place to live yet. LOL!
MISSES
  • Saying goodbye is never fun. Early this week I made a quick trip to Union to turn in keys and music for fall recitals. Even though I didn't get to see everyone in Jackson, I got to take a few minutes and bid farewell to a place that will forever hold a special place in my heart. On Wednesday evening, I was surprised by the choir at First Marion with a cake and prayer of blessing on my last night there. I didn't expect it at all and was touched by the kindness and love I've experienced there. My final lessons with my piano students were bittersweet. I'm thrilled with the progress they have made and excited to begin the new job, but in a way it feels like I'm losing some treasured friendships with these special students and their families. 
  • In the midst of all of the change going on all around me, it's tough to watch friends dealing with hurtful situations. There's nothing I can do to stop the hurt, but I can definitely be a listening ear and say some extra prayers for peace in the eye of their storm.
  • This week has involved a lot of phone calls in an effort to make some progress in my house hunt. It's been challenging to find a rental in Plainview. I am hopeful that something will be finalized early this week, but I'm continuing my search until I get word that the potential plans are secure and I have a place to land in a few short weeks. Now I remember why I have always been hesitant to move! I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing where I'm going to sleep in less than a month. That's stressful!
  • I've complained about packing enough lately, so I'm not going to repeat it here. But I will say that it has led to back aches and allergy attacks. I knew the Geriatric Ward had a lot of dust to contend with....but this is crazy! At one point, I sounded like I was talking in a barrel after clearing a single shelf. I'm just glad that I'm dealing with all of this now so I hopefully won't have to suffer as much with my allergies while unpacking and beginning my job.
PROGRESS REPORT
  • Jude the Obscure - p. 205 of 418

No comments:

Post a Comment