Monday, October 6, 2014

Hits and Misses (September 28 - October 4)

Here's a look back at the week that was.

HITS
  • I had a great time playing my first rehearsal of the Christmas production at First Marion on Sunday. I've finally made the step to get involved in the music ministry of the church instead of just sitting on the sidelines. I'm looking forward to the months ahead.
  • It's been a successful week at Union as well. Another recital hearing went very well. That only leaves three more to play this term as well as the performances. Thankfully, only one more hearing has really tough music to master.
  • The laughter has been rolling in the music lounge this week. As one student reminded me, "what happens in the lounge stays in the lounge." Laughter is such a stress reliever in the middle of a busy day.
  • Before driving up to UT Martin on Friday, I had a productive dress rehearsal for Monday night's recital with Liz Vaughn. We've worked hard to prepare this music and I'm looking forward to getting to share it with the music department.
MISSES
  • This has been the week of sassy students who just don't seem to understand exactly why they are in school. I've had more than my share of tough conversations with several of them. Those are never pleasant, but always necessary.
  • Every time I participate in a NATS competition, I leave shaking my head. I don't understand how the judges in their "wisdom" selected certain voices to proceed to the finals given the other performances I heard. The comment sheets are becoming a contest between the judges to see who can be stranger than everyone else! "Let your eye see into the aural space." What in the world does that even mean?  I suppose the upside is that I make a little money; the downside is that students begin to question their progress because of some strange (and sometimes downright rude) comments.
  • On Thursday afternoon, I drove through the pouring rain to conduct a musical rehearsal for the high school showcase I was drafted into agreed to play. Imagine my surprise when I received a call ON THE WAY TO THE REHEARSAL to tell me that the piano was unavailable. Instead, in their wisdom, Delta Arts had secured a 4-octave keyboard for my use. What am I supposed to do with that? Teach a 3-year-old a nursery rhyme? If I had been informed of this earlier in the week, the rehearsal would have been cancelled so no one's time (especially mine!) would not have been wasted. The more I work in these situations, the more I understand why I continue to lose respect for DA. I'm fairly certain this will be my last venture with this group.
  • Nothing is worse than realizing that you have forgotten the password to an important site. I've searched all of my files, but there's no hint to be found. When I tried to change the password, I was denied access because I didn't correctly answer the security question. Here's where it gets really funny....when I tried to log in again using the security question, the site informed me that no question had been created for this user! I'm locked out and have to face the fact that I won't be making my deadline. C'est la vie!
There you have it. Hope you have a great week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment