Monday, October 13, 2014

Hits and Misses (October 5-11)

Here's a look back at the week that was.

HITS
  • The week got off to a great start with Liz Vaughn's recital. The program featured songs by Schumann and Barber. It was a great experience playing for a dedicated student who learned the music well in advance of the recital, allowing us ample time to polish. The performance was a joy to be involved with.
  • On Wednesday evening, I returned to choir rehearsal at First Marion. Minutes before rehearsal was to begin, I was asked to play piano. I had a lot of fun getting back to a supporting role in ministry that I have always enjoyed. Even if the music wouldn't stay on the rack at first and we had a moment of laughter together as I tried to stand at the piano in order to keep the rehearsal going, it felt good to be part of a group with a common goal. 
  • Fall break came at the perfect time. My hands and mind needed some rest. I only wish that I was able to totally relax instead of grading papers and recording lectures.
MISSES
  • This week saw an extremely long lecture for my night class. Because of complications at the beginning of the semester that resulted in uncertainty about the class actually making or not, I've been running behind all term. Tuesday night was the night that I finally had to pay the piper and cover a ton of material in a few short hours. I think the students understood the majority of the material, but I went home with a sore throat and immediately collapsed into my bed.
  • It's always frustrating when financial issues cut into the amount of rehearsal that is permitted for an upcoming performance. Even though I understand the logic, it's still frustrating. It's one of the challenges we face as musicians -- do we only do what we're paid for or do we do what is necessary in order to ensure performances of the highest quality.
  • Dad's hearing aids have continued to be problematic. For the second time in just over six weeks, the hearing devices are back at the manufacturer for repairs and/or replacement. I'm just ready for things to get back to normal so life can move ahead for a little while without major difficulties.

There you have it. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment