Friday, May 30, 2014

Life Lessons in Starbucks

Sitting in Starbucks, blowing a few hours before my next appointment causes me to consider the human condition. The fact that I'm sitting here sipping a hot chocolate is not shocking at all. After all, I love chocolate in any form. What is troubling is that I made this stop immediately after leaving the dentist. I just had my teeth cleaned before exposing them to this filth again.

I'm not really upset about my teeth, but the irony of the situation made me wonder how many times we do similar things in other areas of life. We make strides in improving our financial status and celebrate by making a new purchase on credit. As soon as our stress level is reduced, we feel comfortable enough to take on a new project. It seems we get out of one mess only to begin living in another. What would happen if we ever allowed ourselves to experience contentment and peaceful living for more than a few minutes?

Today, I'm meditating on this passage written by Paul in Philippians 4.
I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess -- happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me . . . Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.  (Philippians 4:10-13, MSG)
It's taken me a while, but today I can say that I'm experiencing more contentment and happiness that I have known in a very long time. Now is not the time to return to old habits; it's time to continue traveling forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment