Monday, May 19, 2014

Hits and Misses (May 11-17)

The missing blogger is returning to the blogosphere. Some may not have noticed my absence, but I did. It feels good to have time to write again and share what's on my mind (as confused as it is at times!)  Anyway, here's a look back at the week that was.

HITS

  • Grades have been turned in. Juries and recitals are in the books. That means that another semester is over. It's been a challenging one to say the least, so I'm looking forward to a few weeks of rest before summer school starts up.
  • Due to personal conflicts for several of the voice faculty at Union, I had the opportunity to sit in on voice juries for the first time. I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive at first, but really enjoyed listening to the many students and providing them feedback on their performances. I was especially thrilled when a student approached me later in the week and commented that he didn't realize how informed I was about singing. I was just relieved that my comments were seen as a valid contribution.
  • Instead of heading out of town as I had planned, I decided to stay home and catch up on some movie and television watching. I have enjoyed seeing Grace Unplugged, Saving Mr. Banks, and Million Dollar Arm this week, but my greatest discovery has been Brothers and Sisters. How have I missed this show for so long? Thank Heavens for Netflix!
  • It's also felt really good to have some time to slow down and do a little reading and writing again. Even if no one else reads a word I write, I enjoy putting my thoughts to paper --er, blog. Now that my headaches are finally getting under control (though I still don't know their cause), I feel like reading again. 

MISSES
  • The week began with a trip to the doctor for some routine blood work. I was less than thrilled with the lab results. After getting my cholesterol under control with diet and medicine, it seems that stress, lack of exercise, and eating on the road has led to elevated numbers again. I am struggling with getting back into the gym (more about that below) and hate dieting, but I know it's something I must do.
  • My sleep cycle is currently a mess! I'm crawling in bed at 9pm and waking at 2am.  It's a battle to get back to sleep. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I'm thinking it's part of the aging process. When I don't sleep, I'm not a happy person.
  • Since school is out and I'm not running at full steam ahead, I'm discovering just how exhausted I really am. My body aches, my mind is tired, and I don't want to do much of anything that requires effort. So I've closed the lid to the piano -- no practicing for a few more days -- and permitted myself to simply be a vegetable for the week. I'm getting more energy back and hope to be a bit more active soon.
There you have it! Looking forward to the adventures the new week has in store for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment