Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Power of Fear

Spiders. 

Snakes. 

Failure. 

Public Speaking. 

Death. 


These are just a few of the things that can strike fear into the heart of people. What we fear is often irrational according to others. Intellectually, we know that our fears are somewhat silly. Still we face the invisible monsters that hide beneath our beds and look for danger lurking around the corner.

A few weeks ago, I faced fear head on. A visit to the doctor resulted in an EKG to rule out a heart condition. While the results came back clear, the nurse practitioner warned that hidden dangers could be associated with my condition that would not be picked up by the test. I was sent home with no answers and lots of questions.

As I tried to sleep, I came face to face with fear. I was experiencing pain -- which would probably better be described in hind-sight as discomfort -- and heard the warnings from the nurse in my mind. I began to panic. I am too young to die. Momentarily, I truly understood what it was to be paralyzed by fear. Intellectually, I knew the pain I was experiencing was not typical for a heart emergency and that the EKG gave me a clean bill of health.  Fear tortured me and I found myself at the emergency room.

As I look back on that night, I don't regret the decision of making the visit to the hospital. I firmly believe that it is always best to err on the side of caution in health-related matters. What grabs my attention is the sheer power of fear in our lives.

Fear is a motivator. It was my fear that caused me to drag my body out of bed at midnight and go to the hospital. While it was the motivation of my visit, the ironic truth is that fear also paralyzes. I was unable to make the decision to visit the ER on my own. I had to be coerced by family members.

Fear brings shame. As a young man in my early 40s, I was embarrassed to tell the nurse that I was at the hospital because I was having a panic attack.....or a heart attack....I wasn't sure which.  As the pain subsided and I realized I was going to be okay, I began to apologize to everyone for wasting their time. Despite their instructions to stop beating myself up, I found myself in a personal prison.

Fear is relentless. Fear is not easily overcome. Once I was diagnosed with an injury to my neck, my fear would always find times to rear its ugly head and generate doubt in the days that followed. Fear most often attacks in the quietness of the night or when we find ourselves alone. It isn't hard to comprehend that fear can often morph into depression.

We were not created to live in fear! Scripture clearly lays this out in 2 Timothy 1:7:  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (NKJV) God's plan for his creation was to be at peace in their minds.  This peace comes from knowing Jesus Christ (see John 14:27). 

Whatever Fear has you in its grasp is not meant to have control over you! Put aside your pride, run to your Heavenly Father and openly admit your fear. Then allow Him to deal with the monster that has been making a home under your bed for far too long! He will gladly replace your fear with perfect peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment