Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Natural Inquisitiveness

I am an inquisitive person by nature. I enjoy learning new things. There's no specific rhyme or reason to what will grab my attention. Sometimes my interest lies in familiar fields like music, theology, and education. Other times see my interests moving into philosophy and basic mechanics. I know that I'll never become a master of everything, but my curiosity drives me forward; my mind is ravenous for new information.

My curiosity keeps me active and keeps my mind sharp. It leads me to new areas of exploration that I never imagined. I find answers in books mostly, but my searches have also lead me to film, observation, and conversation with wiser (often more mature) people.

What's gotten me thinking about inquisitiveness today? I'm disturbed by a general lack of curiosity in many of today's students. Rarely do I see students pursuing information for personal knowledge; they are focused on obtaining only the essential information to pass the test. The material for the test had better be handed to them on a silver platter as well. The interest, desire, and ability to think abstractly is on the verge of being lost by many of today's students. 

It's a dire situation, in my opinion. What's the solution? That's the problem....the solution is not simple. Until students value education and the development of learning skills, no amount of creative teaching or finely crafted lesson plans will make a significant difference. I will be the first to agree that inventive, creative teaching can be the seed that begins to germinate into a lifelong pursuit of knowledge. Once the seed of inquisitiveness is sown, however, it is necessary that the learner feed it regularly until it develops into a thriving curious plant.

I'm accepting the fact that I can lead the proverbial horses given to my care to the waters of education and information. I can't force them to drink. As an educator, that continues to be one of my greatest challenges. My belief that the waters of knowledge are the best thing for the young mind is what causes me to lead them daily back with the hope that at some point they will pause at the source and drink in deeply. Once you've tasted the power of learning, it's unquenchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment