Monday, September 23, 2013

Hits and Misses (September 15-21)

It's been a wild and busy week! Whew....I'm glad that one is over.  Here are some of the highlights.

HITS

  • One of the worst parts of my decision to leave my church position earlier this summer was not worshipping with my family on a weekly basis. On Sunday, Mom and Dad joined me at First Assembly, West Memphis. It was nice to sit with them and worship our Creator together. 
  • This week has seen a couple of new seasons arrive in my world. The new season of Dancing with the Stars is always some fun television. This season's cast promises to be quite good.  On a more serious note, the Memphis Symphony Orchestra launched its 61st season on Saturday evening at the Cannon Center. It was a long program (I'll share more about that over on Collaborations later this week), but definitely a nice start to a strong season. I'm looking forward to the next concert in a few weeks.
  • I've had a great week at the piano. It has been thrilling to get started on some beautiful repertoire (which is always a blessing.....sometimes you feel as though you are just wading through sludge) and it was especially nice to leave the week behind knowing that I have done some superior playing. It's always nice to hear from others that you have played well, but there's no substitute for knowing within yourself that you left everything at the piano and gave an outstanding performance (even if it was just in a coaching session)!
  • Feedback is so important. It's how we know what needs to be improved or what we're doing right. As a teacher, some of my best feedback comes from my students. This week, I received positive, unsolicited feedback from students in all three of my courses. Some reaffirmed what I already knew while other statements gave me courage to press on in some new adventures. 
  • Since it's been a crazy week, I took the time to look ahead to Fall Break and make some travel plans. I'll be taking my normal trip to southern California in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to smelling the ocean air and seeing the beauty of God's creation, but I'm most excited to visit with some dear friends while meeting some new people. I'm counting down the days already!
MISSES
  • Just when I thought I had seen it all in school, I had a student and her boyfriend try to intimidate me this week. It was actually a rather scary situation (though my direct supervisor suggests otherwise!) and not something I hope to repeat anytime soon. I stayed calm and didn't let my fear show too much. It just reaffirms my resolve to get out of this horrible teaching situation as soon as possible.
  • Another work related rant is in order. I understand a policy that states there is to be no food or drink in a classroom. It makes sense. I assumed (wrongly) that the intent of the law -- no consumption in the classroom -- was the focus rather than the letter of the law. My error was made clear when the faculty received an email stating that food -- whether stored or not -- was to be in the classroom. Why is this such an issue for me? Well.....I pack a lunch daily and do not have an office on campus. It makes sense to me to carry the bag into the classroom with me, store it under a table, and grab it on the way out. This policy is just another reminder that the administration is more concerned about rules than developing policies that meet the needs of all of their staff. Grrrrr!
  • This has been the week for poor service as well. I went to Cracker Barrel with my parents on Sunday for breakfast after early service. It took forever to get a waitress to take our order. When she did, we waited another 25 minutes for salty eggs and bacon and watched as she bumped my dad's shoulder, spilling his coffee. Her comment? I'll bring you another cup when I get a chance. Later in the week, I stopped to check the rates at a hotel chain and was given an incredibly rude reply. Even though the hotel was clean and the rate was quite good, there is no chance on God's green earth that I would ever suggest someone stay there.
  • While judging a talent show for a local school district this week, I was appalled to see third grade boys bumping and grinding while grabbing their crotches. What made the situation even more insane was that the children were permitted to return to the stage later for another performance! My fellow judges and I were expecting the worst; I was even more shocked to hear one of the latest praise and worship songs sung by the kids. Yet the Church as a whole wonders why it seems we are losing our effectiveness with the world? When filth and worship come from the same mouth, there's not much difference that's obvious to those who need to hear.
  • I'm not complaining about my busy schedule.  I'm really not. I have missed having relaxing evenings to read and blog regularly though. Now that I'm seeing what a wild schedule feels like again, I'm attempting to fit both activities into my routine again.  It's just going to take a little readjustment.
There you have it!  Time to let the week that was go and look forward to the week ahead. Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment