Monday, June 17, 2013

Practice Makes Perfect


I have been practicing for 36 years. As a pianist, most days find me spending quality time at my instrument perfecting my craft and learning more about music, myself, and life. Sadly, I think that the concept of "practicing" has been stolen from the general population by the performing arts and sports teams. Each individual daily practices something -- whether intentionally or not.

The Oxford dictionary defines the verb practice as "performing an activity or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency." (oxforddictionaries.com) In other words, a person chooses to practice something in which they hope to achieve improved abilities. By separating the concept of practicing from music, theater, and sports, the potential power of practice becomes apparent.


  • Do you want to be more patient? Practice patience!
  • Do you want to learn to knit? Practice knitting!
  • Have you wished you were a better writer? Practice writing!
  • Want to improve your skills in the kitchen? Pull out a recipe and practice cooking!
Practicing can be applied to any area of life. The goal of practice is to gain new skills to a desired level of mastery in such a way that the new activity becomes a naturally occurring habit in the way you do things. Since we can all benefit from practicing, this week's blog posts will be devoted to the topic. 

Every journey begins with a single step. When you decide exactly what it is that you are pursuing and choosing to practice, the first step is often the most difficult. We're not certain how to achieve our target, so we put off practicing until we know how things are supposed to work. We aren't certain we can acquire the new skill, so we decide to do nothing rather than risk failure. Here's the good news..... YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING FIGURED OUT BEFORE STARTING TO PRACTICE! Part of the value of practicing is pointing out areas that need attention as you move forward in your journey to mastering this new skill. Simply get started the best way that you know how!

K.I.S.S. For the uninitiated, K.I.S.S. is an acronym meaning "Keep it simple, Stupid." We've all heard it said that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and our goal will not be achieved overnight. So whatever you are practicing, remember to begin simply. Someone practicing cooking will be better served boiling water or scrambling eggs instead of cooking a seven-course gourmet meal! If you are hoping to become a voracious reader, it's probably not wise to pick up Gone with the Wind or The Brothers Karamazov as your first novel. In the earliest stages of practicing, it is important to set yourself up for regular success as you build the habit of devoting some time daily to the art of practicing.

Additionally, it is important that we avoid the temptation to begin practicing multiple things at the same time. I want to be more patient, read a novel a week, write an intriguing daily blog, and learn to speak Italian. I have the ability to do all of these things, but I need to prioritize. If I begin practicing each of these things immediately, my focus is stretched so thin that I will accomplish very little in any of the processes.....and will have little time to manage the regular parts of my life. I need to determine what is truly my passion and what is simply a fleeting obsession. If you're not sure whether it's a passion or temporary fancy, I recommend putting it on the back burner for a while; those things that are important to us will continue to burn deep within despite our lack of immediate attention.

Intentionally schedule your practice time. How much time do I need to devote to practicing? Honestly, it depends upon your age and your current ability in relation to the skill you are developing. I ask my beginning piano students to try to play at least 10 minutes each day. An adult who is trying to develop the habit of daily reading sessions might begin with 15 minutes of reading for 5 days of the week. 

Once you establish how much time you will be investing, determine how you will add it to your daily routine. One of my colleagues meticulously schedules her day and includes practice time, then protects that time from interruption. On the other hand, I work better with a to-do list. Practice activities are listed along with the day's other responsibilities and I complete the tasks when I'm in the best frame of mind to handle each one. The to-do list works for me since it allows me to experiment and find what times of my day are best suited for which activities. 

Once you schedule your practice time and its duration, give yourself permission to modify the plan as needed. It is more important that you DO the thing you are practicing than avoiding it because you don't have the amount of time allotted. Practice should not be a chore every day; if it feels that way, you may be attempting to devote too much time to the task for your current skill level. Evaluate and adjust as needed. Regular repetition is what we're after. As with other things, quality of practice supersedes quantity of time spent practicing.

On Wednesday, we'll explore some tips that have proven effective in my own practice and explain how you can adapt them to any activity that you are seeking improvement in. For now, determine what it is that you want to practice in your life and take the first step. Then repeat it again tomorrow and the day after. Before you know it, you'll be on your way to having the ability that you desperately want to add to your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment