Friday, June 7, 2013

A Lesson from Lemonade

Nothing says summer quite like a cold glass of lemonade. I love freshly squeezed lemonade that's carefully mixed with ice cold water and sugar to achieve the perfect balance between sweet and sour. Let's be honest though. Making fresh lemonade is too much work! Why bother to thinly slice the lemons, find the perfect balance, and make it look as though Martha Steward herself prepared the beverage when I can easily fill a plaster pitcher with cold water and stir in the Country Time mix! After all, who needs the trouble when the artificial is just as good as the real stuff?

As I sip on my Country Time lemonade, let me assure you that there definitely IS a difference between the artificial and the authentic. That same truth can be applied to many things in life. Authentic, unconditional love is far superior to that which is contrived in hopes of receiving something. Instant potatoes are no match for the fluffy creamed potatoes impeccably blended in Mom's kitchen. Polished cubic zirconia cannot compare with the luminosity of fine diamond. Then why do we settle for the inferior imitations of authenticity?

I've had my share of the fake in life. I've plastered on a smile rather than finding true happiness. I've settled for friendships that were interested in what I could offer without giving anything in return. I've spent seasons satisfied with a shallow spiritual life instead of the deep abiding relationship the Savior offers. In every instance I have found the same thing; settling for anything less than the authentic will always leave you wanting more.

Sometimes I've settled because it was easy. I didn't want to confront the problem head on, so I settled by gritting my teeth and bearing the burden alone. I was afraid of appearing weak so I didn't address the sadness that I was really feeling. I was unwilling to surrender every part of me in order to walk in communion with Christ. I feared what others would say if my pursuit of the authentic resulted in failure.

I'm tired of settling for the fake. It's worthless. It's draining. It's empty because we know that there is something more. The good news is that we can have authenticity in every area of our life if we're willing to pursue it. The pursuit may be difficult and there may be times that we miss the mark. The chase will be worth the effort when we finally experience authenticity.

Are you going to settle for Country Time or will you attempt to make a perfect gallon of fresh lemonade? It's time for me to start slicing the lemons. Maybe you'll want to join me......

No comments:

Post a Comment