Friday, April 1, 2011

Looking for an Outlet

Last night, I got to sit around and just have a quiet conversation for the first time in a very long time.  It was quite overdue.  The conversation began with the typical discussion of my involvement in music and church.  Following a mild lull, I was asked what else I enjoyed doing.  When I had to pause and admit that I couldn't come up with much else I felt rather disturbed.  Is my life truly consumed with only my work and nothing else?  What do I do in order to find relaxation?

When pressed, I can come up with standard answers -- I read, watch television and go to the movies when I have a chance -- but the truth is that they don't really relax me.  Generally my reading is in preparation for a lecture or performance.  I rarely have the opportunity to take 3 hours away to go to a movie theater and I watch television when I'm crawling in bed late at night.  Don't misunderstand -- I love the fact that I am busy in my career and love the multi-faceted aspects of my musical life -- but I also know that I have to have some down time to renew myself.

So today, I finished up my last rehearsal of the week and set out for an evening of relaxation.  Rather than stressing out over trying to come up with a plan, I went with the tried and true technique of going to the Paradiso and saw "Lincoln Lawyer."  The movie was not what I was anticipating it would be from the trailers, but I really had a fun time with it.  Then I went to have dinner at Ciao Bella.  The chicken piccata was perfect -- light and savory.  Now I'm sitting at home and have put all the papers, application packets, and practicing aside for the night and plan to just catch my breath. 

What do you do when you need to recharge from a busy time?  What's your favorite outlet to plug into?  Share your tips......I may just steal a few of them and give them a try myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment