Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Knowing When It's Time to Make a Change

On Sunday evening, I watched "Masterclass" on Oprah's OWN network.  I rarely watch Oprah and will mark Sunday's late night viewing to insomnia, but I must admit that many of the things Oprah shared in her personal story sparked my thoughts and have stayed with me throughout the week.  The most powerful of these concepts has been the fact that she always knew when it was time to make a change.  I'm finding myself in the same boat.

In Oprah's story, she said that she consistently knew it was time to make a change when she found that her current situation no longer challenged her and she saw no room for further growth.  That is such a powerful statement to me!  Why would anyone ever choose to remain in a stagnet situation and cease to grow?  Personally, I love learning too much to stay put if I am not finding new challenges.  However, the challenges cannot simply be presented in an effort to keep me content in the situation;  the challenges must help me reach my ultimate goal.

It's no secret that I am ready for change.  I long for the day that I am able to stand on my own feet financially and pursue new challenges without the stress of balancing so many diverse jobs.  Still, I don't want to run into a new situation just to escape my present frustration.  This was probably the greatest revelation I came to on Sunday night.

As Oprah shared her story, she said that it was not until she was willing to surrender her plans to a Higher Power that opportunities began to come her way.  As I thought and prayed about this statement, I found myself surrendering my will and timetable to my Heavenly Father.  I know that His purpose is to give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11), so I am choosing to relax and trust Him.  In His time, for His glory....

No comments:

Post a Comment