Monday, August 7, 2017

Hits and Misses (July 30 - August 5, 2017)


Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • The Geriatrics and I started the week off at the early worship service at West Memphis First Assembly of God. It was a nice service that was devoid of all the "fillers." I thoroughly enjoyed the sermon from Exodus 3 and we all left encouraged and kept talking about what we had heard that morning. Didn't hurt that we were out of service by 9:45 either! Great start to the week!
  • After spending most of the week with my foot propped up again, it was a welcome relief to finally get answers from the podiatrist on Friday morning. I saw Dr. Appling in Southaven -- who I really liked a lot -- and learned that there was no break or fracture evident in my ankle. After taking 5 x-rays, I'm confident he would have found it if there was one! He knew that I was concerned about the swelling and explained what he thought was going on in layman's terms. He also explained the other (less likely) possibilities and gave me instructions on how to proceed once I get back to Texas if things aren't completely better. I left his office empowered.....because I felt like I knew what I was up against for the first time. 
  • Since my foot has kept me grounded, I've really enjoyed watching videos on Hulu and Netflix. I had forgotten what great services these are! I've binged through the first two seasons of Top Chef this week (which I saw on Bravo when they first aired) and have caught up on a few documentaries that were very interesting as well.
  • By Saturday night, cabin fever had completely taken hold and there was no way I was going to miss the weekly Geriatric Dinner adventure. This week, Mom decided she wanted to return to Bosco's in Overton Square. Yummy food just like our last visit (and Dad's first trip to the Square).
MISSES
  • My sprained ankle continues to give me fits! I finally got the swelling down to a manageable size before seeing the podiatrist on Friday, but it has been a rough week of hobbling around the house and fighting off boredom. It's not quite how I anticipated spending the end of my summer vacation.
  • The podiatrist gave me a prescription to help with the inflammation in my ankle and recommended that I get it from a pharmacy in Olive Branch because I could get it at a reduced price. He had mentioned having it shipped, but the USPS in Crawfordsville is notorious for failing to deliver packages. I told him if the order could be called in now, I could pick up the other supplies he suggested, grab lunch, and then stop by the pharmacy before heading home. Perfect.....he would have the staff call in the order right away. Guess what? When I arrived at the pharmacy, no prescription had been called in and there was no one picking up in the podiatrist's office! By this point, my foot was aching and I just wanted to go home. Finally I realized that the doctor had given me some samples, so I left the shipping address with the pharmacy and headed home. Now we'll just hope that the "crazies" in the local post office can manage to get the medicines delivered when they arrive. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • Since I was down for the week, Mom was alone in the kitchen to try out our new recipes. Unfortunately, she also had the recipes that were flops! I felt so bad! The Pork Chops in Lemon Butter Sauce were horrible. There was so much lemon that the pork almost turned bitter. We were really shocked since the chicken from last week that had almost the same breading and lemon was one of the summer's favorite recipes. Then on Friday night, Mom tried to make pizza with flour tortillas as the crust. We've used this recipe before and enjoyed it, but this was not the case this week. The jarred sauce was cloyingly sweet and Mom didn't use enough cheese on the individual pizzas. This meant that the tortilla wasn't in the oven long enough to crisp at all. You get the picture.....the pizzas were edible (at least, I thought so), but overall, they were a hot mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment