Thursday, May 26, 2011

Worth All the Effort

This summer, the church that I work for has decided to conduct multi-generational Bible studies for our mid-week time together.  Initially, it doesn't sound like too big of a deal.  When you begin to look at the students though, the difficulty of trying to speak into the lives of children, teens, and senior adults at the same time can be a bit overwhelming.  Sadly I have found no effective curriculum that addresses this perplexing problem.  Our solution for the summer is to take a solid curriculum for children and figure out ways to involve the older groups.  So far, I think the effort has been fairly successful and a lot of fun for kids, teens, and adults alike.  (Now I'll put in a short commercial.....if you attend AGM and haven't checked out this summer's WOW series, I think you'll find that it's not Bible study as usual and definitely enjoyable.  You'll even learn something you didn't know before!)

Despite the success, it is easy to become tired and weary when preparing the lessons from scratch.  I missed last week's WOW session due to family vacation and had gotten out of the routine of gearing up for the session.  With trips to Texas and Oklahoma in the past 1 1/2 weeks, I had not found adequate time to prepare as thoroughly as I would have liked for last night's lesson.  Add in the fact that I was already nervous about the potential for severe weather in the area and you can imagine that my mind was torn in a million different directions.  I was ready to throw in the towel and simply go home.

Before last night's session, I was greeted at the door by one of my students -- who just happens to be my youngest niece -- with a huge hug and a broad smile.  I was expecting to be buttered up for some favor honestly.  The reality was much different;  she told me how happy she was that I was back to lead the WOW session and that she was ready to learn!  Did she proclaim that I was the most incredible teacher in the world?  Not at all!  Was she suggesting that I was the only one who could do this?  Nope....she has sat under several gifted teachers in our congregation.  What she was saying loud and clear was that our efforts and labor were making a difference in her life.  Talk about an encouragement!  I found a new energy and excitement for the evening.  I quickly found a quiet place to thank God for the renewal that was delivered from the mouth of a child and asked for His anointing and guidance in the study.  In the end, I was thrilled with the way the lesson turned out and believe that people heard the Word of God in a clear way that can be applied to their lives.

I am blessed to be in a church that constantly provides affirmation to me in all areas of ministry.  For that I am thankful.  Now I'm looking around me to see who I can affirm in the days ahead so they will know as well that their hard work is making a difference in my life.  It is my prayer that it will come just at the right time to give them a needed boost of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment