Thursday, December 27, 2012

Disappointment

The last week in December is naturally a time to reflect on the year that is coming to a close. We like to recall the successes we have experienced. We revel in the joy and laughter. Sadly, we must also face our disappointments.

Disappointment is certain to come into every life. The reasons can be numerous. I have experienced disappointment this year because of my own personal failures. Goals I set for myself were unmet. Positive changes I hoped to make were left behind on the planning table. Good intentions fell prey to lacking motivation.

I have also been disappointed in other people. Some have made commitments that were not fulfilled. I have been betrayed by others who I have invested in extensively and trusted completely. Still others made poor decisions (in my opinion) contrary to my "sage" advice.

Unfulfilled dreams have been yet another source of disappointment in 2012. I still search for a full-time job in my industry. Hopes to reconnect with friends and to see the world have not come true. Visions of personal enjoyment and fulfillment danced in my head but never became a reality.

If we are not careful, we can easily become depressed and frustrated as we face our disappointments. Disappointment is an emotion, but it does not define me. Despite all the things I had hoped would come to me in 2012, I stand in the confidence that my true identity is found in God alone. My momentary disappointments will ultimately result in something good for me since my Father declares that He "knows the plans [He] has for me." (Jeremiah 29:11)

I choose to keep dreaming, trusting, and hoping. Not all of my dreams will come true. People will let me down and some of my hopes will fall in the dust. Still I have hope that some of my dreams are birthed in me by God Himself. I trust that "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." (Philippians 1:6) I choose to simply be who God created to be.....a man who dreams big!

No comments:

Post a Comment